Health and Safety Officer
Required SkillsAdvisory Analytical Attention to Detail BA (Hons) Bachelor Degree General Safety Rules Health and Safety Teamwork
Our client is a company that supports government-owned estates.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure that projects, property, and estate for which the company is responsible, is safe and secure at all times, as outlined in the Maltese national legislation and best practices;
- Interact continuously with the HR & Administration Office to ensure that the occupational environment of employees is conformant with the relevant national and international Health and Safety legislation;
- Develop and implement a Health and Safety framework within the company;
- Implement and maintain a comprehensive Health and Safety program to prevent injury, occupational illness, and damage to the company’s property;
- Conduct facility and site inspections to perform job hazards analyses and other evaluations to identify Health and Safety hazards and potential risks within the company, as well as with regards to projects, property, and estate for which it is responsible;
- Ensure that the established Health and Safety regulations are being followed and rectify any deviations as and when appropriate;
- Conduct health and safety risk assessments before initiating a project and property related works carried out by the company and ensure that recommendations are implemented. Design and introduce a works permit system to ensure health and safety governance on projects and property-related assignments and secure its implementation;
- Design and agree on a health and safety plan for all works contracted out by the company to third-party contractors. Ensure that third-party contractors and their employees abide by sign-off health and
safety plans and measures and take corrective action, including the suspension of contractor employees, workers, and contractors in the event of default regarding such health and safety measures;
- Design and manage a fire management framework at the company’s Head Office that includes the establishment of fire warden’s escape routes, drills, essential first aid provision, fire equipment and so on;
- Liaise continuously with the Chief Officers, or staff as delegated, of the Offices of Property & Project Management, Technical Office, and HR & Administration Unit, respectively, on all matters about health and safety;
- Participate in post-accident investigations and present recommendations on measures to prevent a future repeat of such accidents;
- Collate and analyse incident statistics and advice on future Health and Safety policies and procedures accordingly;
- Maintain records and other necessary documentation related to Health and Safety matters, as established by legislation and regulations in this regard;
- Promote awareness within the company on the importance of complying with Health and Safety regulations;
- Provide guidance and advice to employees on Health and Safety matters;
- Attend briefings and meetings as necessary;
- Prepare and present reports and other documentation to senior management as requested;
- Perform any other job-related duties as necessary or as assigned that may be required from time to time.
- Have a solid background in Health and Safety, Site Supervision, or another related background;
- Hold a Diploma in a relevant field;
- Possess a minimum of three years working experience.
- Be attentive to detail;
- Have good analytical skills;
- Be a team-player.